Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sounds of Speed

I've always enjoyed sounds.  Sound effects recordings, events recorded in audio only. 

One of my favorite recordings is on an airplane sounds record.  It's an SR-71 start sequence.  For those of you that aren't familiar, you don't just get jet engine sounds with this one.  The old SR-71 starter units were big block V-8's, so the first thing you hear, is a pair of V-8 engines revving to redline for about 10 seconds, followed by a steadily increasing jet engine noise.  It's pretty awesome. 

I've got other favorites, Reno Air Race recordings, Indy 500 sounds from over the years. 

I'm thinking of this today, because, as I'm at work here at the old Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda MI, there is a racing team using the runway for some high speed testing.  I can't tell exactly who they are, It's a yellow Corvette racing up and down the runway over and over, and they've got a massive big rig hauler painted up in black and yellow, featuring the corvette logo crossed flags. 

The sound, is amazing.  It sounds like NASCAR out here.  Slamming the car up through the gears, and then winding it out on the top end for a mile or so, before slowing down, hanging a U turn, and doing it again.  I can glimpse the car occasionally through the gaps in the blast fences, and it is really moving, 150 mph +.  I can't tell exactly. 

Thought I'd share, it's the little things that get us through.  Cheers everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment