Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My worst birthday

I know it's more than a little emo to comment on something like this, but my most recent birthday was the worst one I've ever had.  :(

Nothing bad happened on it, nothing good happened on it.  Basically, nothing happened.

I turned 40 years old in February 2011, and my wife had turned the same age almost a month earlier.  She did not want to acknowledge it, she associated it with very negative feelings "the big 4-0"  and all that.  I, on the other hand, didn't feel that way at all.  I've always liked my birthdays, turning 40 was no different.

I won't go into it too deeply, I had three people wish me happy birthday:  My wife, who said it once, my aunt, who left it on Facebook, and my mother, who called me.  My kids didn't remember it.  We have a birthday calendar at work, and nobody noticed it was my birthday.  None of my friends remembered.

Granted, I didn't tell anyone.  I was just hoping someone would remember, it would have made me very happy.  As it was, I manned up, but I still felt like crying.  See?  I told you this was emo as hell.

It was just a huge miss I guess.  There was a small party on the Sunday before my birthday, mainly for my twin children, who's birthday is three days after mine.  This happened for various reasons, but, I had to leave for work before the cake came out even.  So, sadness.

Now, every time someone at work makes a fuss, saying "What will you get me for my birthday?"  or whatever.  I just get super annoyed, and think about how nobody noticed my birthday.  Even though I didn't tell anyone. 

I guess it's a little laughable when I put down on paper, so to speak.  But, I'm still counting my 40th, as my worst birthday.  Even though I don't think about it, unless someone reminds me of it.

Cheers all, no worries!

1 comment: