Sunday, October 9, 2011

The why and what of being an Aircraft Mechanic


What is my job anyways?

My son asked me what exactly I do at work.  It's a natural question, and I tried to give it some thought before I answered.

 My own father's answers to that same question had always sounded so cryptic to me.  Now that I'm grown up, his old position of "Systems Analyst" down in the basement of the Admin building at Michigan State University, isn't so arcane.  It's similar to some of the things I do as  hobby, and many of you if you happen to be reading this.  Basically adapting software to work with your hardware, and keeping it running throughout the year, until the next update comes, which creates even more headaches. 

I told my son that I make sure that other people do their jobs correctly, and I look at the airplanes and their parts to find things wrong.

That's it, in a nutshell.  I watch people work, and look at their results.  I wander around airplanes, peering into various nooks and crannys, to try to find things that are broken, or corroded, or whatever.  It's an odd job in many ways.

I don't have to spend lots of money on tools anymore, like I used to when I was floor mechanic.  I compensate somewhat by buying fancy flashlights, and mirrors.  I want to spend some money on a new pocket multi-tool as well, they are invaluable for opening things, or poking and pulling at stuff.  But my old one just hasn't worn out yet.  How disappointing!

When I look at what some of my classmates from high school are doing now, I'm a little disappointed sometimes.  But that's just from the tempest in a teacup world of Facebook, so it's just a small small percentage of my classmates.  Overall, I'm pretty pleased with what I chose for a career.  One thing bothers me sometimes though:  I really don't remember why I chose to do it.

Some people have wonderful stories to wax on about when they talk of why they chose their career path.  Me?  I like to joke that I chose to be an aircraft mechanic when I was high.  And while that isn't true, I say it for two reasons:  I can't remember the exact reason, and with all the ups and downs of the aircraft technician's life you would have to be high to choose it!

It's kind of tongue in cheek of course.  This career path isn't any worse than most.  The ups and downs I've experienced have to do with my own choices as much as things out of my control. 

As far as choosing this path though, I really wish I remembered it specifically.  I remember the girl I wished I was going out with/best friend at the time (long story there) and I talked jokingly of flying and/or working on helicopters for some reason. 

Now, that was because we were high.  The indiscretions of youth were sometimes fun. 

I had been going to Lansing Community College (LCC), for the better part of a year.  First as an English (!?) major, then trying accounting (fell asleep in the first class and never went back), before withdrawing and dropping out for a term.  This didn't sit well with my father.  I was working at Meijer, a pre-WalMart era, but similar large store.  He didn't want me to make that a career.  I don't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure he counseled me to get off my ass and think of something better to do.  So I guess I did.

I distinctly recall going down to the registrar's, or something, office at LCC and asking about the aviation maintenance course.  We went through some papers where I was told of the requirements, and arranged an interview with the head of the aviation school at the airport.  That was a little surprising, the fact that I had to 'interview' with the head of the school.  Turns out, it was just a meet and greet, where he asked me why I wanted to do this (and I wish I could remember!!), what my mechanical background was (cars, trucks, motorcycles), and him telling me that I was too fat.  

After starting aviation school out at the airport, it was actually much like going to a job.  Due to FAA student time tracking requirements, the LCC aviation school had us punch a time clock to document our time at school.  The school started groups of students on the 2 year program, and for the most part, the class groups stuck together.  Most went nonstop until graduation.  We didn't get summers off though, which contributed to the job feel of the school. 

In the morning I worked at a law firm in downtown Lansing, in the afternoon, I worked as a student at the school.  Such was my life for two years. 

As an aside, my twenty twenty vision hindsight tells me I should have taken the interest I found at my morning job at the law firm, and combined it with what I was learning at the aircraft school, and become a lawyer specializing in aviation related litigation and defense.  That specialty is not that common, and there is some demand.  But, I've never been keen on what was best for me.  Some of the parts of my job now that I am best at; researching an issue, sometimes far far past what most would consider adequately; arguing a point, sometimes to the point that the point has been forgotten; and being very cognizant of the big picture ramifications of a decision.  Those actually sound rather lawyer-like. 

Why I got into the aviation maintenance game remains a mystery.  I had been developing what I thought of at the time, as a mechanical proficiency.  Doing so by working on my motorcycles, cars, and trucks.  From where I'm sitting now, I was a hopeless hack of a mechanic back then.  The only times I did anything remotely correct, is when I was working under the direct tutelage of my father.  When I went off on my own, things tended to get butchered together, or broken.  I can safely say that I actually generally know what I am doing around mechanical things now. 

Of course, in twenty more years, perhaps I'll look back and say the same thing about myself now.  "Hack", "butcher"...... who knows?

My uncle was in aviation early in his career.  He was in Vietnam, and worked on C-130 cargo planes, if the stories I was told are correct.  After the war, he went to the same aviation school that I ended up going to.  He even got his Airframe & Powerplant licenses.  However, he chose to go to work for General Motors as an electrician.  Something not out of the realm of possibility for graduates of the aviation maintenance school.  We were always told while we were there that our career scope didn't just include airplanes.  The training we were being given would serve us in many technical fields.  My uncle is case in point I suppose. 

He ended up dying doing his job at General Motors though.  I hope my job doesn't end up killing me too.  But that's a discussion for another day, on both points.

I think I've actually covered the varied things that influenced my career choice.  Mechanical tendencies, herbally fueled discussions with a loved one, parental dissatisfaction, uncle did it, and something else.... oh yea.  I do like airplanes.  A lot.

I never specifically wanted to be a pilot, or a mechanic on them.  I just had a healthy interest of them.  Built lots of model airplanes when I was a kid, went to air shows, went to see "FiFi", the world's only flying B-29 bomber when she came to Capital City Airport in the early eighties (the group operating her was still called the 'Confederate Air Force' back then).

I'm not 100% happy with my career choice, call it 80% maybe.  Which is actually pretty good when you think about it.  But since I put myself on this career path, I don't think I'd change much.  Everything I've done has been mostly positive. 

After almost 20 years of doing this, I can tell my kids what I do for a living.

That I make sure people do what they should do, and I look for that which is wrong

Cheers, to at least 80% satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment