Monday, October 3, 2011

Unique? Not So Much! - Or: Part 2 in "Get off Your Ass"


The way that you think is not unique, as a matter of fact, someone else is thinking this same thought right now.  And to further the meta-ness, someone else somewhere is writing down this same exact thing.  How do I know?

I don't, of course, but I suspect. 

Of all the billions of people on this planet, who mostly have the same access to thoughts and ideas, through wildly different avenues; similar thoughts always seem to surface.
Not just similar thoughts, but similar everything.  After all, we all start from the same gene pool, and live on the same planet.

In such a closed ecosystem, things do duplicate. 

So all those that say that they are so super unique, really aren't that unique.  About as unique as that 'limited edition' goo gaw you purchased on the home shopping network.

How to differentiate one's self in this see of faces, ideas, and races?  I would have to say actually doing something with your skills, or ideas, would be a good start.

Example:  Powered flight wasn't practical, until someone got off their ass and invented the internal combustion engine. 

If you look at technology going back in time, you can see that certain technologies were there for the taking, just lacking the ideas, and the talent.  We could have had the internal combustion engine much sooner really.  Humans have been working with steel since how long ago?  I won't even google it, you can do that. 

Chemists have had the ability to produce petroleum compounds for how long now?  Once again, Google that. 

Basically those two basic things, plus the ability to shape or machine the metal are the things needed to make a simple internal combustion engine.  Look up some of the better do-it-yourself websites.  There are some talented people making such things in their own garages for Pete's sake, literally from the basics.

Back to differentiating yourself though. 

I had a friend, who said he loved to think things up.  He it called inventing.  And I couldn't argue, he did think up some clever ideas.  Some of which I have actually seen commercially in the years since.  Do you think he was the one who saw those ideas to fruition?  No  Was he even remotely involved in them?  No.  He still works at the same place that I do now.

They were simply good ideas, that at least one other person had as well.  The difference being, that that other person actually did something with the idea instead of just talking about it, or writing it in a notebook to be forgotten.

The key to standing out, of course, is to stand out!

That idea for a better bicycle you had?  Well, go build that thing!  Don't know how?  Learn!

The internet has made us lazy in many regards.  Googling or checking the wiki for any given topic has replaced actual research.  Most people actually call that 'research' nowadays.  Which is BS.  I do Google an awful lot of stuff.  But sometimes, I say no.  I leave it be, until I either remember whatever it was, or figure it out for myself.  Am I just too lazy to type in the question?  Some could argue yes, yes I am. 

I am notorious for over thinking things, projects in particular.  I research things to see how they should be done, what they should look like, etc.  In short, I beat it to death, before I even pick up a tool.  Why?  Because experience has taught me that knowing how something works, helps prevent problems the first time you do any given thing. 

So go for it you nerd.  Read all about how to do the thing you've always wanted to do, or at least the methods you'll need to know to go about it.  Once you are full up on knowledge, spread those spindly wings a bit, and pick up a tool, a frying pan, a pen. 

I don't know how this turned into a pep talk, but it did didn't it?

I am at peace knowing that others have the same ideas as me usually.  Some people don't suspect that yet.  If you know one of those, tell them to get off their ass and act on their ideas, or you will.

Cheers, to the broken patent process, and 100 year copyrights

No comments:

Post a Comment