Thursday, October 13, 2011

Essay #3: Touching Healthcare, Liberty, and Immigration

Number Three in a series: Occupy - My Head

Our hypothetical new country is coming together rather slowly.  But, the founding fathers didn't do it overnight either, so I will not despair.

On the subject of our new bill of rights.  I have to add public health care to the list.  I can't believe that I forgot it on the first one.  I was all ready to move on to Liberty, when I hadn't even finished our Life list yet!  Shame on me.

Health care will be a part of our new country.  Doctors will still be paid well for their services.  Since I haven't decided what sort of monetary system we will have yet, I'll just call it compensation, for providing this important service.  Above average compensation, without being outrageous, maybe good parking privileges, and a fancy ham once a month or something.  You get the idea.

I think in order for the health system to work to everyone's benefit, people do need to see a doctor at least once a year.  It's only fair, if the health car is free, then you have to take at least that much care of yourself, so that conditions don't get too out of hand before treatment starts.  As most of us know, the earlier you catch something, the better the results, and usually the less it costs.  Since everyone in the country will be paying for it, everyone should be interested in this.

Moving on to Liberty, in the scheme of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I've become aware of a few different kinds of Liberty.  The most interesting to me being the concept of 'positive' and 'negative' liberty.  Who knew there were different kinds?

Positive liberty, is mostly interpreted as total freedom.  The ability to do as you wish, no matter the consequences.  That seems a little too much like anarchy.  And while I think a little bit of anarchy is good for the soul.  That same small amount, goes a long long way. 

I think there should be a little bit of a leash.  Just a little.

Negative liberty, is still freedom, but you can't harm anyone else in doing it, and you are protected from others as they exercise their freedom as well. 

Kind of like if you thought the coolest thing in the world would be to set off a huge bomb, and yes, i do think big explosions are pretty neat.  You wouldn't be allowed to do it where it could ever hurt anyone.

Negative liberty can also be interpreted as protecting you from anything at all that would restrict your given freedoms.  I know it sounds like a contradiction.  It is just a modicum of restraint really.

So some restrictions on liberty are in order, in order to protect us from each other.  I just feel it's necessary.  We will hammer out those rules later.

I've been bothered by the issue of who gets to enjoy all these wonderful freedoms that we are concocting.  If we do this right, this country will be a very desirable place to live.  Other people from other places will want to join us.

I think that we have a lot of space here in this country, and we should let immigration happen.  It should not be a hard process.  I am thinking as easy as walking to the border, saying hello, and walking in. 

Some people will disagree.  But I think when people want to live somewhere bad enough to make sacrifices and make the trip, they will work hard to be successful members of that society. 

I don't have the precise plan for that to work, or any of this really.  I think of these ideas as seeds.  Maybe someone can make them grow.  I'll help. 

That was three varied things, I'll look to focus more next time. 

Cheers, to 3:30 am!

1 comment:

  1. This is what I agree with most out of all your statements: " But I think when people want to live somewhere bad enough to make sacrifices and make the trip, they will work hard to be successful members of that society. "

    Amen to that. xx

    ReplyDelete