Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ghost of a Doubt x 2


I like to think of myself as an intelligent person.  However wrong that thought might be.  Everyone is entitle to their little delusions.

With that in mind, whenever I watch a show like Ghost Hunters, or any other paranormal thing.  I do so with a pretty large grain of salt.  Does it count as watching the show if it is on when I walk into the room and sit down?  I guess so, as I watch it once I’m there.

Thinking of the world the way that I do, I don’t recognize ghosts as something that is real.  Paranormal things in general as well.  I do admit the possibility of alien visitation, but find it unlikely.

I say all of that with great seriousness, and solid conviction.  Except for two things.  Two things that happened, one of them more than once.

Once, in the mid-nineties, my wife and I were staying in a hotel in Lansing.  We had a pretty nice room, probably had mad honeymoon period sex, the works.  At one point in the evening, and I cannot recall what the heck we were doing.  I had my eyes closed, she had hers open.  I saw a flash of light.  Saw it the way you do through your eyelids, when someone turns on the bright overhead light in a room, or flashes a flashbulb in a dark room.  It only last a split second.  At the same time, my wife exclaimed about it.  But she said that she saw someone, or something in the room.  She asked me if I saw anything as well,  I told her of the flash I saw. 

I can’t explain it.  There was definitely a flash of light, I’m certain.  I have no idea what caused it.  I can’t verify what my wife saw, but I certainly can’t disprove it. 

That’s one thing.

The other thing involves our house that we lived in for four years in Beekmantown, NY.  It was a perfectly ordinary house, rather nice as well.  We were really happy there.  Something strange always seemed to happen near the living room though.  When we would sit on the couch in the living room, we’d sometimes see what seemed to be a small child peeking around the corner of the entrance to the hallway.  This hallway went to the guest room, the bathroom, and the kid’s rooms.  At first, we assumed it was the kids, not wanting to sleep, and creeping down the hallway to peek at us while we were in there.  Many times, we’d tell them to go back to bed.  And a few times, one of us would actually get up and move quickly to the hallway, hoping to catch the child and put them back to bed.  There was never anyone there. 

Well, I shouldn't say that.  Occasionally, it was one of our kids, and it would scare the crap out of us.  It added to the fun of the situation. 

My wife and I both saw it, and no matter how I tried to explain it away, it seemed strange.  I’d tell myself it was a residual image from the television on the back of my eye or something, or just a shadow, one that stood there looking like a child.

Some other members of the family saw it too.  It was pretty strange.  My oldest son claims to have seen a strange child in his room as well.  Not sure that he would make that up so convincingly at that age. 

We jokingly called it our ‘ghost’, and it seemed harmless. 

No sir, I do not believe in ghosts, paranormal activity, and find alien visitation highly unlikely.

Except for those two things.

Cheers, with a glass of ghost pale ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment