Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Failure!

Once again I have failed on some level.  I was going to post one poem today, but wasn't at the right computer, so I just wrote a different one instead.  I heartily apologize.  Maybe tomorrow I'll post the one about the Post.  Today's was about my toolbox.  Why?  Because I'm writing 365 of these, at least, and I need to vary my subject matter!

I did start cleaning part of my basement today.  Only because I am embarassed of how it looks.  If nobody ever saw it, I'd probably wait years longer to do it.  But, this particular area is an issue, because we have a bathroom in the very back of the basement, the only one in the basement, and very soon my inlaws will be here for their annual camping trip, in my front yard.  The bathroom basement is the one they use most often, so as to not dirty the toilet in the trailer.

But the point of all this is the mess. 

We've been watching that Hoarders show on Netflix lately.  And I am horrified at how those people live, and how it seems to become normal and acceptable for them.  Then I do the introspective thing, and look around my own home.  I see minor, or the beginnings of similarities.

I'll start with the animal feces.  In the show, the subjects let animal crap and piss overrun their homes, or areas of their homes often.  In my house, we have two little dogs, who are far from housebroken, to the point that they both wear diapers for their pee.  They often poop in the house, usually I or the wife, see it and pick it up right away.  But, sometimes they will go in an area we don't go to all the time.  Or worse, they'll go in a place where only the kids go.  Getting the kids to care is an issue.  They will sit an play video games, with several little poops on the floor near the couch, and they simply will not care.  Or, a dog may go in their bedroom, if they leave the door open, and usually unless I say something or pick it up, the boy will leave it there.  It makes me shudder with yuckiness.  :b

So I'm trying to get the dogs to stop it, and raise awareness with the children how unacceptable it is to leave it on the floor.  It's getting better I have to say.

The other similarity I see with the Hoarders show, is the keeping of things that aren't really needed.

My dad growing up, did me no favors in this regard.  He always kept the original box, receipt, and instructions for almost everything he ever bought it seems like.  Also with papers of all kinds, he'd just file them away. 

Myself, I'm not as organized as him, so I tend to keep all that stuff, but it's not put away in any organized way.  Usually ends up in  a pile, somewhere on the way to where it needs to be stored, but that's as far as it usually gets.  Every now and then I do a purge, and keep what needs keeping, and throw away what does not.

Today was one of those times.  Felt pretty damn good to take four bags of garbage to the dump on the way to work, I gotta tell you.  And I'm not done. 

Wish me luck!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment