Saturday, May 14, 2011

Peers in the rain

I've had death and fathers on my mind for the better part of a week now.  The 6th (?) anniversary of my own father's death was a couple weeks ago.  And two close co-workers have lost their own father in the last week as well.  It has inspired some reflection on such things.

When I was a child, I pretty much worshipped my father.  He told no lies, and did no wrong.  As I got older, that sort of hero worship faded.  Eventualy culminating in my late teens, where I acted like he told mostly lies and did almost everything wrong. 

Then there was a long curve of going back to respecting him completely.  Which didn't come to full fruition until a couple years before he died. 

I lost all those years, where I wasn't interested in what he had to say, or his history, and opinons.  I am shamed to think on this now.

I visited his grave today, for the first time in more than a year.  It was raining. 

I've written a little thing about this, for the poetry blog.  I'm saving it for Father's Day though, I think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment