Friday, November 25, 2011

Work Dreams



When I was laid off for the extended period. I dreamt of work alot. There is serious psychology there, but I don't care to know what it is.

I dreamt of most of the jobs that have had throughout the years in one way or another. Usually in strange alternate reality type ways.

A good example, is the all singing, all dancing, musical dream I had about my aircraft work in Oscoda. I dreamt that we were all working in the hangar, and after some sort of nonsensical segue, we all broke into a stirring, rousing rendition of the B52s Rock Lobster. And man, if it didn't go on forever too.

Once I went back to work, I stopped dreaming about work so much. For which I'm grateful.

A huge thing happened though, aside from the dreams, while I was laid off. I learned that I really like my work. I love being an inspector of the airplanes. I enjoy reading the tech data, I like looking at things with a critical eye, and either giving it the thumbs up or thumbs down. I love that I get a certain amount of leeway to exercise my judgement on things. I'm happy that most of the time I'm making the right choices. It feels rewarding.

It's probably why, except for the one day I was high on pain meds and passing a kidney stone, I haven't called in sick. For almost a year and a half. Which, if you know me, is something special. In the past, I've had bang in days, where me and a friend would take off and watch soap operas with a case of beer. I went through a period a few years ago, where I liked to call in sick every other Wednesday. I found it broke up the week.

But with the revelation that I actually love my job, in a deep down and satisfying way, came a feeling of commitment to it as well. It's fun to look back at your life and career, and see different stages you've gone through.

Now that it looks as if I will have a month off of work, give or take whatever the doctor will let me do, I am filled with a sense of loss. I don't want to be not at work, especially since I've found a good way of looking at it.

I dreamed of work again last night. First time in a year and a half. Dreamt of an average day, in the alternate universe of Oscoda aircraft maintenance. Things are skewed, as only the lens of dreams can do sometimes. Everything recognizable, yet very different too.

Just a work day. Went in, did work things, came home. A whole dream of it.

It's just a dream. But it expresses longing. For the normalcy of the workday. Not this waking alternate reality of a broken knee, and a sore ass from sitting too much every day.

Cheers, to the mending of bones and dreams.

1 comment:

  1. That's a really nice blog, Robel! I enjoyed it - lots of deep thoughts like Jack Handy. But seriously - a nice piece of writing. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete