Monday, November 28, 2011

Frosty = Bad Touch!

Back in the 1970's, I saw the animated Frosty the Snowman for the first time. After looking it up, I see that it is another fantastic Rankin Bass production, originally put together in 1969. Seeing that, I can't peg the year that I first would have seen it Let's call it the mid seventies.

This all started something, that was to stick with me for the rest of my life. Not in the way of something stuck in my head, but stuck in other people's heads.

Frosty the Snowman touched me inappropriately.

Seriously. When I watched the scene in which Frosty is starting to melt, and there is a thermometer, which goes higher and higher, and Frosty melts more and more, until he's just a puddle I think.

I am told that I was very upset by this scene. And as a result, I developed a huge fear of thermometers. When I saw a thermometer, and it was looking like it might be getting warmer, I was deathly afraid that it was going to kill me. That I was going to 'melt'.

I don't know how long I kept this deathly fear, I actually don't really remember having the fear at all. Sounds like me though.

It actually sounds sad to me. A four or five year old with a phobia like that, all brought on by a television show.

My family thinks it's hilarious though. Just yesterday I was reminded of it once again.

For years and years, I've been getting Frosty the Snowman themed gifts every christmas, often for my birthday, or just whenever someone wants a good laugh. Usually my mother. Who also delights in telling the story of her poor traumatized child of the seventies, crying, and shrinking away in fear at the sight of a thermometer.

You just have to love family, don't you?

Yesterday's gift, was a christmas/winter patterned pillowcase. My mom makes this kind of stuff. She also quilts. If it didn't take like a month to make a quilt, she'd probably make me a gag Frosty quilt as well.

I know I can probably expect a gag gift for christmas as well, likely a snowman something or another. Followed by some reminiscing about my old phobia.

I shouldn't be putting this here. I'm probably setting myself up to receive a snowman somewhere, from someone new.

Oh well, I am what I am. I'm sure the thermometer traumatization has played some part iin shaping who I am, like it or not.

Cheers, to bizarre fears and constant reminders.

3 comments:

  1. I feel very bad for you. I promise to never buy you one of those gifts... it must have gotten old very, very fast!

    I heard it said once that family knows how to best push your buttons because they're the ones that sewed them on. True, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My capthcha(sp?) was "dandmard" - doesn't it seem like that should be a real word?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, on both points! I do try my dandmardest to ignore their ribbing, but it's hard sometimes. I'm not known at the most cheerful person in the family. :b

    ReplyDelete