Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 As Hardwired Guilty Memorial Symbolism


As I write this, the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the USA is tomorrow.  I’m feeling mixed about the whole thing.  I don’t know if it’s because I’m a shallow bastard, or if I just analyze things too much.

That that day was a tragedy for this country, I feel for certain.  But for what reasons?  Therein lies the mixed up part.

I know where I was that day.  I was at work, in Plattsburgh, NY; at the Pratt & Whitney main hangar.  There was a large group of us working on N747UT that day, we had a fair sized group of contracting mechanics helping out as well.  One of those mechanics, had his pocket radio and ear buds going.  He heard about the World Trade Center attacks first.  He started telling people around him what he was hearing.  As you probably remember, first reports were confusing:   The buildings are on fire, there was a bomb, a plane hit the tower.  Then the second plane hit, and the thought that it was an accident started to sound a little stretched.  We all began talking about it, work kind of slowed to a halt in the hangar.  A little later on, we heard word of the Pentagon crash.

 I felt angry.  I was angry that someone took a jetliner and did this.  That many people died, I knew from common sense.  Whether I was angriest about that, or that they’d used an airplane to do it, I don’t know.  Airplanes were and are, how I make my living.  I really like airplanes, I have lots of books, lots of models, and did I mention I’ve been working on them since the early ‘90’s?

Our head project guy, an old ex-military man, decided he needed to gather everyone together at lunchtime, and give a short talk.  The gist of it was this:  He believed that what had happened today, were terrorist attacks.  And that the best way that we personally could counter them, was to get back to work.  If we let this upset us, and stop us from doing our jobs, then that is exactly what the terrorists want, and they will have won.

I think he said some patriotic stuff too, but I forget.  It was sort of a self serving statement he gave, in the sense that it was important to him that we get back to work, so that production on his airplane could continue.  But it was also a true statement, and I’ve tried to remember that part.

As an aside to this whole 10 year discussion, and that above statement.  I almost feel that the terrorists have won in a way.  If you look back at the last ten years, and see how much freedom we’ve given up, for the sake of security screenings, border patrols, data tracking, warrant-less searches, kidnapping suspects and putting them in Guantanamo Bay.  Looking at all of that, as a whole;  I am saddened for what 9/11 did to this country.  And I guess I can say that if the terrorists didn’t win, then they certainly forced us to change, and not for the better.

Back to that day though; those of us there at work got back to work.  The day passed fairly quickly.  When I went home, I had the experience of telling my wife what she had missed during the day.  Our children were almost 2 years old at the time, and the only television in the house had been tuned to PBS all morning for the kids programming.  PBS did not interrupt the kids programming to tell all about the attacks, which I think was a good thing.  So my wife didn't know about it, and we sat down and talked about it, and watched the news for awhile. 

At work the next day, we worked.  And though we were working hard on the airplanes that we had there at the hangar, there were none in the skies yet.  Just the occasional rumble from the Air National Guard F-16's from Burlington, VT.  It was a strange, planeless sky for those few days. 

Eventually, life got normal.  As it does after things like that.  At least for those not directly involved. 

I look at sensationalistic things a little jaded these days, and what the media did with 9/11 is a perfect example.  For the most part, I was only exposed to US media.  The BBC was on very early, or late at night, and I seldom caught it.  What I saw the US media do, was their usual routine, of wringing every bit of air time out of things as they could.  Until much meaning was lost, and the big picture perspective was completely lost. 

9/11 became our symbol, our badge, our own little tempest in a teacup of perpetual motion, that kept us motivated to hate those who had done this to us.  And, since it was hard to hate the ones who had actually done it, as they were dead, we switched to their bosses, who weren't easy to find.  When finding most of them failed, we flailed around the world, lashing out at anyone we thought had any ties to terrorism.  History demonstrates the effectiveness of this.

Lost to most of us, was the perspective on the day. 

Was the fact that violence took place out of the ordinary?  No, not on a global scale certainly. 

Was the number of people who died uncommon?  No, it wasn't.  Trolling the subject of disasters, or wars, or genocides, or death squads, etc... on the internet shows it isn't. 

The two things that made it stick out for us, was the method and the location.

The method, was certainly sort of novel.  Although, looked at with historical perspective, it was a sort of evolutional thing.  Terrorists have been hijacking planes for years, with varying degrees of success.  The idea of a suicide plane is not new, think on the Japanese Kamikaze for an easy example.  Planes crashing into buildings?  Well, there are accidents I know of.  One in New York City as a matter of fact, when a B-25 bomber I think it was, crashed into the Empire State Building during WW2.

I'm sure you can connect the dots in your own way.

Most importantly though, location.  As they say in real estate, "Location, location, location!"  This attack had it all in spades. 

First, obviously, it was on American soil.  A place that we has seen very little external attack historically.  Second, was what they were attacking.  The World Trade Center twin towers was a symbol of success, excess, and the American Way; well at least to some people.  Remember, this wasn't the first time a terrorist had tried to bring one of them down.  The buildings were famous in their own right, and a fixture on the skyline of NYC for anyone who has been there, or seen a picture.

The Pentagon, was a symbol of our military, and situated just across the river from the rest of our government.  We can be thankful that the other plane was brought down before it was able to hit the White House, which was suspected to be that planes target. 

Yet another aside:  Flight 93, whether it was brought down by the direct cause of the passengers on board fighting back to retake the plane; or by a military missile; does not matter.  The people on board are deservedly called heroes.  By all accounts they were fighting back near the time their plane went down.  That's one time that trying counts as much as succeeding in my book.

Back to the thread though.  So we have the location.  It hits hard to home for us Americans. 

Take all that shock at being attacked at those locations, and those symbols.  Now combine it with media frenzy of coverage and opinion, and constant bombardment of video and pictures.  Add in some rampant patriotic talk.....and there you have the point where I tune out.

It's not that I don't believe that terrorists did it, I'm not one of those that thinks it was a government conspiracy.  I sympathize, and my heart aches for those that lost someone they knew or loved.  And I was, in general, upset about it.

Why though?  And hence, the subject's place here, in the realm of Worry. 

Because here, ten years on.  I guess I'm over it.  The dead are dead, they have been mourned.  The people who lost someone, live with that loss every goddamned day, they don't need anniversaries to remind them of it.  The people who were there, and are suffering some kind of sickness from all the stuff that was flying around near the buildings, they also live with it every day.  I would express my condolences to the one, and my heartfelt thanks to the other.  But I wouldn't wait for an anniversary to do it, and I sure as shit wouldn't do it every year on the same day.  The people who were directly effected by 9/11, do not need our national diarrhea of guilt to soothe them.

9/11/2011, will be just another day.  I will treat it as such.  I will work on my house, I will have lunch with my family, I will watch a movie, I will have sex with my wife.  I will not dwell on the tragedies of the past.

I will do all of those things.

Because if I do not, then the terrorists win.



No comments:

Post a Comment