Friday, January 27, 2012

Disbelief Hanging Suspended by Wires

The suspension of disbelief, is a very important concept.

Doing it properly, can enhance any leisure or entertainment experience. Be it a movie, a book, a play, or a story around the campfire.

In the latter example, when someone is telling the scary stories around the campfire, even though the rational and logical you, knows that it's pretend, and there will likely be a "BOO" moment at the end. If you suspend that logic and rationale, you will have an immensely better time. Your tension will build with the story, to be cathartically released at the climax of the story. Much like sex.

Whereas, if you sit around the fire, with a nasty hipster attitude, as if you've been there and done all of this before, and pick apart the details of the story for their plausibility or factuality: not only will you make it a lousy experience for yourself, but you'll detract from everyone else's experience.

Don't be that person, don't be Buzz Killington.

The same concept obviously applies to other forms of entertainment. Really good to have in Magic shows, and plays. Places where either the angle on the show, or the scenery and costumes, aren't as perfect as in movies.

But I love going to them. Even if it's a cardboard cutout backdrop, painted by teenagers. As long as their acting can suck me in, I'm all in.

But, there is a backswing to all of that.

Sometimes, I suspend my disbelief too much. I hang my logic right up, and odn't participate in the mysteries right in the story. I just take it in as it is presented.

It's irritating to sit next to someone who doesn't do it quite as much as I do, and have them get the story twist about ten minutes before I do. all because they interpreted some early clue properly.

Dang it. But that's just sour grapes.

I am trying to get my kids to do it, or rather, keep doing it. It's a sort of childlike thing, the whole concept. I don't want them to get all jaded with things like I did. Which we now think of as being a Dirty Hipster.

I had to recover my suspension of disbelief. I was tired of not enjoying shows and stories as much as when I was a kid.

Maybe that explains why I've gone overboard with it. I just need to get my concept to mature a few years. Not to the hipster teenager phase, but arrest it's development just before that.

That's when it's at it's best. When you can ignore the fact that it's all fake, and enjoy it on it's face value; but still apply logic and learning readily when it helps you along with the storyline or concept.

I'd say I'm too old to change. But now that I know better, I'll keep working on it.

After all, you're never too old to think young.

Cheers, to the tweenager inside all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment