Friday, July 8, 2011

On Identity & Virtues

I had a whole discussion in my head the other day about identity.  Reflecting on the different personas we take on throughout our lives, willingly and unwillingly.  The names we are known by, and why.  And categories we get lumped into simply by our preferences, or genetics.  It's worthy of a thesis project actually. 

And I'm just as sure that somewhere out there, someone has already written one about just those things.  So I decided to make a trite little poem-y thing about it instead.

That was today's item, #189 Who is Anyone, Really. 

I'm moving on tomorrow, and going to push out my Seven Deadly Sins series.  I did finally write the last couple ones, Wrath, and Envy.  I'm not a fan of them necessarily.  They are about sin, and I got a little graphic in a few.  But, that's what it's all about, neh?  Sin, awfullness.

One thing I noticed, while writing them, is how interconnected a lot of them are.  How the one sinful characteristic leads almost naturally into the next.  Oh those silly church people, dividing and categorizing our sins for convenience.  It's as good a list as any I suppose.  They are, all seven, definitely not good traits to exhibit, at least in excess.  lol

A little gluttony is a good thing, see Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinner, for example.  Some Lust is good as well, without a little lust, we'd have not nearly as much interest in the healthy recreational activity of sex.  And so on.  A little of this, a little of that, is a decent thing.  Oh, I almost forgot, a little envy, can go a long ways towards motivating one to better one's self. 

I did have a hard time with envy.  It's actually a fairly natural emotion to have.  I probably didn't do it justice, maybe I'll rewrite it before I press publish. 

Anyhoo, I did mention a while back, that I would do a companion piece addressing the seven virtues.  Brought to you by the same church scholars, no doubt. 

I'll work on that maybe during my seven days 'off'.

Cheers and love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment