Saturday, July 11, 2015

Where Fred Will, and Will Not

I have often said that I have a certain line across North America; below which I will not live.  I used to call it my own personal Mason-Dixon Line, but in light of wishing to not become mired in any discussion of the Southern Confederacy and what they may or may not have stood for; I have officially renamed it "Fred's DMZ"

As you can see, Fred's DMZ stretches from sea to shining sea.  Encompassing (from East to West) Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, roughly the Northern half of New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and naturally all of Canada & Alaska.



You may notice some odd things on the path of the DMZ.  Most odd being the exclusion of all of Idaho.  Reason being that I have no use for Idaho or their potatoes (and I may or may not have been arrested there once.  Spoiler Alert:  I have not).

I fell in love with the San Francisco/Northern California area (only the half closest to the ocean!!) once on a visit there; so that has been added as an addendum.

As for New York:  Everything South of Albany might as well belong to New York City; so they can have it.  

My choice of the Area Fred Will Live is based exclusively upon Climate.  As I like to have four solid seasons, with an average temperature somewhere around 50 to 60 degrees F.  The rules being bent a bit for the Pacific Northwest, due to their great beauty, and generally tolerable climate.

Perhaps South Dakota made that cut, but being that it has 'South' in its name, it got tossed to the pigs.

Fred's DMZ could be extended, using the mentioned rules, to wrap all around the Northern Hemisphere, and I should probably work on that someday.  The same could be said for the Southern Hemisphere. 

A previous version of this map, had me accepting every single state that touched Canada.  With the DMZ being those state's Southern borders.  But that had drawbacks, so had to be discarded.

I do make exception for most places within a couple miles of a Great Lake.  So I think we have to imagine a stretch of land that I would deem acceptable, that runs all along the South shore of Lake Erie.  The rest of Ohio is pretty 'meh'.  

I apologize if you are a big Ohio, Idaho, or NYC fan; as I called those three places out specifically.   

There might be something to learn about me from this map, or not.  

If you have read down this far, I have it on good authority that the next set of winning Powerball numbers is:  13, 22, 24, 36, 47  - 14


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment